A data logger is a compact, battery-powered device equipped with an internal microprocessor, data storage, and one or more sensors. They can be deployed in a variety of environments to record measurements at set intervals. The devices automatically monitor and record environmental parameters over time, allowing conditions to be measured, documented, analysed and validated. The data logger contains a sensor to receive the information and a computer chip to store it. Then the information stored in the data logger is transferred to a computer for analysis. Discover more in our data loggers guide.
What data and measurements can a data logger collect?
Depending on the particular data logger, measurements and parameters can include air temperature, humidity, AC/DC current and voltage, differential pressure, time-of-use (lights, motors, etc.), light intensity, water temperature, water level, dissolved oxygen, soil moisture, rainfall, wind speed and direction, leaf wetness, pulse signals, room occupancy, plug load, and many more.
What are the key features of a data logger?
- The devices are usually compact and portable for use in the field and in the laboratory.
- Data can be measured automatically using computer control, meaning there is no need for a physical presence, saving on a valuable resource.
- Some data loggers have a handy USB plugin interface or a wireless Bluetooth feature that enables the transfer of data to be even easier and more convenient.
- The data loggers can be accessed remotely, and readings can be stored to bring back to the laboratory or office after the data has been collected in the field.
- Some data loggers have an IP rating to withstand environmental elements while collecting data.
- Data can be collected 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
How do you use a data logger?
- Download and install software on a mobile device or laptop
- Connect to the data logger and launch parameters
- Place in location and record data for the desired time
- Reconnect to the data logger via mobile device or laptop
- Download data file and readout with analysis software