What is an Ammeter?
Ammeters or Ampere Meters provide an accurate way of measuring and displaying current within a circuit, which helps with detecting problems such as unusually high or low levels of current.
The ampere level of the current is displayed using either an analogue scale or digital readout. The current is presented in draw (how much current flows) or continuity (how uninterruptable the current is). Learn more about the different types in our ammeters guide.
What is a Digital Ammeter?
Digital ammeters feature a programmable bar graph scale that allows both minimum and maximum values to be set, enabling a custom scale, dependant on the needs of the application. The digital display can be programmed to change colour, flash, or change annunciator message.
These Digital Ampere Meters often feature triggers that can be programmed to sound an alarm when a critical point has been reached. The digital meter can also be set to trip when values exceed, fall behind, are between or are outside set points. An AC Ammeter can be used to measure the Alternating Current in a circuit
What is an Analogue Ammeter?
Analogue ammeters determine whether erratic loads exist in electrical circuits. High ampere levels may indicate short-circuiting, unintentional grounding or indicate a defective component in the network. Low current flow points to high resistance or weak flow in the circuit.
Types of Analogue Ammeters
Analogue panel ammeters come in five types:
- Moving coil: where magnetic deflection causes the coil to move when the current passes through the coil
- Moving magnet: where the coil is mounted in the metered case, and a permanent magnet moves the needle
- Moving iron: where an iron needle moves in response to an electromagnetic force from the coil
- Electrodynamic: where an electrodynamic magnet responds to alternating and direct current movement
- Hot wire: where current passes through a wire that expands when heated, indicating low or high ampere levels
Browse the broad range of Ammeters RS have to offer and order today for next day delivery.