Polyolefin heat shrink tubing is a popular type of heat shrink tubing known for its versatility, durability, and wide range of applications. It is made from polyolefin, a type of polymer derived from the polymerisation of olefins, such as ethylene and propylene. Polyolefin heat shrink tubing is widely used in various industries due to its excellent electrical and physical properties.
What are the Features and Benefits of Polyolefin Heat Shrink Tubing?
Key features and characteristics of polyolefin heat shrink tubing include:
- Shrink Ratio: Polyolefin heat shrink tubing typically has a shrink ratio of 2:1 or 3:1. This means that when exposed to heat, the tubing will shrink to approximately half or one-third of its original size, respectively, providing a tight and secure fit around the object it covers.
- Temperature Range: It has a wide operating temperature range, making it suitable for both high-temperature and low-temperature applications. Most polyolefin heat shrink tubing can handle temperatures ranging from -55°C to 135°C (-67°F to 275°F).
- Electrical Insulation: Polyolefin heat shrink tubing provides excellent electrical insulation and is often used to insulate and protect electrical connections, wires, and cables from moisture, abrasion, and other environmental factors.
- Chemical Resistance: It exhibits good chemical resistance to common substances, such as oils, solvents, and acids, making it suitable for use in challenging environments.
- Flame Retardant: Many types of polyolefin heat shrink tubing are flame-retardant, offering an added level of safety and protection in critical applications.
- RoHS Compliance: Polyolefin heat shrink tubing is generally RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) compliant, which means it does not contain harmful substances like lead, mercury, cadmium, and other hazardous materials.
- Electrical and Electronics
- Cable Management
- Automotive and Aerospace
- Insulation and Repair
- Medical Devices
- Marine and Outdoor
RS stocks a wide selection of Polyolefin Heat Shrink Tubing by leading suppliers such as TE connectivity, HellermannTyton, Alpha wire and RS PRO.