Motion Sensor ICs
A motion sensor is a sensor that helps to detect movement in the vicinity it is operating, it does this by using either one or more technologies. Often used within security systems these sensors will detect movement in a specific area before sending a signal to a control panel where it will alert its user.
There are various different types of motion sensors that need appropriate integrated circuits to help them function, RS stock a range of sensor ics that all help detect motion such as Accelerometer sensors, Hall Effect sensors, Inclinometer sensors and Position sensors.
Motion sensor technologies
There are various different technologies used within motion sensors here is a list of some of the most common:
- PIR Motion sensors or Passive infrared- this type of technology identified heat or infrared energy.
- Microwave- by sending out MW signals this type of technology is able to measure the reflection off of a moving object.
- Area Reflective Type- emitting infrared rays from an LED, area reflective technology is able to measure the distance of a person from an object.
- Ultrasonic- by sending pulses of ultrasonic waves it can measure the reflection of a moving object.
What are the most common applications that Motion Sensors are used in?
Here is a list of the typical applications a motion sensor can be used:
- Intruder Alarms
- Automatic Ticket Gates
- Entry Way Lighting
- Security Lighting
- Automated Toilet Flushers/ Hand Dryers
- Automatic Doors