What is a cable sleeve?
Cable sleeves or sheathing offer protection for cables from abrasive environments whilst also optimising space as they can be used to bundle cables together or insulate a single cable. Their use is ideal for avoiding tangles, hiding unsightly cables and making a cable area safe. A sleeve can be flexible, solid, expandable, braided or mesh, in fact they are available in multiple materials, shapes and sizes. RS offers a wide range of sleeving which can be durable and versatile.
What are the benefits of using cable sleeves?
- Improved Cable Management
- Extended Cable Lifespan
- Prevention of Interference
What are the types of cable sleeving?
There are several types of cable sleeving materials available, each with its own unique characteristics and benefits. Here are some common types of cable sleeving:
- PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate): PET sleeving is lightweight, flexible, and durable. It's expandable, making it suitable for bundling various cable sizes.
- Nylon: Nylon cable sleeving is known for its strength and abrasion resistance. It offers excellent protection for cables in rugged environments.
- Braided Sleeving: Braided sleeving is made by weaving fibres together to create a tubular structure. It provides good protection against abrasion and is expandable to accommodate different cable sizes.
- Heat Shrink Tubing: While not a traditional cable sleeving, heat shrink tubing is often used to protect and insulate individual cables or wire bundles.
- Fabric: Fabric cable sleeving has a soft and tactile feel. It's often used for aesthetic purposes, offering a more natural look compared to plastic-based options.
- Silicone: Silicone cable sleeving is heat-resistant and provides good insulation and protection against moisture and chemicals. It's commonly used in industrial and automotive applications.
- Metal Mesh: Metal mesh cable sleeving, usually made of stainless steel, provides high-level protection against abrasion and mechanical damage. It's often used in heavy-duty applications where cables are exposed to extreme conditions.
See our other product areas that are linked to cable sleeves:
Heat Shrink Tubing
Cable Sleeve Tools